Saturday, April 30, 2016

Making a liveusb from an iso

Notes to self mainly. I'll forget this by the time I need it again.

I kept getting errors creating a liveusb for Ubuntu 16.04. Something about casper/filesystem.squashfs was broken. What worked when making the stick:

umount /dev/sdb1
sudo dd if=ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2048
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=725528 | sha256sum

Verify that the shasum on the stick matches what is in the shasums file, or do 2 & 3 over again. I tried a bs=1M a few times. That didn't work. I tried without specifying block size, that locked up centos (three for three) and I had to force a reboot. The count comes from doing a ls -l on the directory where the ISO is found, taking the number of bytes listed and dividing by the block size. In this case, 1485881344 was the file size of the ISO. For ubuntu, it should be divisible by 2048, so says the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment