Sunday, July 20, 2014

Installing Virtualbox on Acer C720 chromebook under crouton

So there's this great new thing called Vagrant. Basically, it's a system designed to solve all your problems when it comes to putting together a development environment for a team of people. Sounds great, so how do you install it?

Well, you need to download and install vagrant and virtualbox. Seems simple enough. sudo apt-get install virtualbox, right? Nope. You see, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 on a Acer C720 chromebook. I'm running it chrooted using the crouton script.

In order to install virtualbox, you need to build the chromebook linux kernel because it doesn't have the 3.4 headers. I found a great step by step guide to do that here:

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/wiki/Build-kernel-headers-and-install-Virtualbox-%28x86%29

Nice. Follow the guide, and we're done? Not so fast... In order to build the chrome kernel, you need GCC 4.9. If you try to apt-get it on ubuntu 14.04, you might even think you've installed it, but the package is empty. You have to build this from source as well.

Okay, so to install Vagrant, I need virtualbox, which requires kernel headers, which requires me to build gcc 4.9. How do?

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/issues/939

To keep this brief, I'll just link to the issue I created on crouton. It details the steps I took to make virtualbox work on crouton. Posting this so my future self can find it if I ever need to reinstall my chromebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment